Parker Otto Ackley (May 25, 1903, Granville, New York – August 23, 1989) was an American gunsmith, author, columnist, and perhaps most famously, a firearms researcher and wildcat cartridge creator.
Cartridges Developed by P.O. Ackley
A list of cartridges developed and/or improved by Parker Otto Ackley. (May not be a complete list!)
- .17 Ackley Hornet, a .22 Ackley Hornet necked down to .17 caliber.
- .17 Ackley Bee: a .218 Improved Bee necked down to .17 caliber.
- .22 Eargesplitten Loudenboomer, developed to exceed 5,000 feet per second.
- .25 Ackley Krag Short, a slightly shortened .25 Ackley Krag.
- .250-3000 Ackley Improved, an improved .250-3000 Savage.
- 7×57mm Mauser Ackley Improved, an improved version of the 7×57mm Mauser cartridge with 40 degree shoulder, dies readily available.
- .280 Remington Ackley Improved, an improved version of the .280 Remington with 40 degree shoulder. Replicates ballistics of the 7mm Remington Magnum, with 30% less propellant used and less barrel erosion. Registered with SAAMI by Nosler.